Tuesday, January 15, 2013

87 places to hunt with a metal detector

I personally have lost three rings, two were gold and the third only contained ferrous metals.

The very first ring lost was made out of 18 kt gold.  It had a cross on the center with small diamonds in the cross.  This ring was lost while I was fishing at a local fishing spot surrounded by urban development.  I was standing on the edge of the bank casting my medium action Ugly Stick fishing pole.  I was afraid I would lose the ring so I set it in my tackle box near some tall grass.  When I went to pack up my gear I didn't even think about the ring.  When I got home I realized the ring was missing and must have slipped off into the muddy grass.  I went back twice that year to see if I could find it but never could.  This story just goes to show you that you never know where a gold ring might turn up.  The ring is still there because We moved from the state when I was young.

My 14kt gold class ring was lost while playing football with a bunch of buddies at a park in town.  The ring had a very large ruby in the center of the ring and I paid 700.00 for it long before gold went through the roof.  As my buddies and I were running around playing football my hands became sweaty and during one very physical play my ring popped off.  I know someone armed with a metal detector probably stumbled upon in and made some quick money.  I wish I still lived in the area or I would head back to the exact spot and find it myself.  If I have lost some very valuable rings, just think about the people you may know who have had a similar situation happen to them. 

My wedding ring was a very cheap ring which I bought and was made out of Titanium.  I lost this particular ring at the beach while I was surfing.  The ring dropped to the beach floor and is probably still being pushed around by the waves.

Anywhere people have gathered they leave their footprint behind.  Many valuable coins and other trinkets have been dropped into the ground and lay waiting to be discovered.  Here is a list of areas to help get your imagination going.  The location near you may hold the coin or item that could pay for your detector several times over. You never know what may be found in the most unlikely of locations.  If I lost three rings, just think about what the other billions of people have left behind them.     

Places to look with your detector:
  1. Underneath A Bridge
  2. Picknick Grove
  3. Watering Holes
  4. Swimming Hole
  5. Church
  6. School Yard
  7. Play Ground
  8. Mining Camp
  9. Camp Ground
  10. Race Track
  11. Fair Ground
  12. Old Trading Path
  13. Old Stone Walls
  14. Under a bench
  15. In your backyard
  16. Old Mill
  17. Farmer's Field
  18. Along The River
  19. Cellar Holes
  20. Parking Lots (especially those with grass)
  21. Outdoor Movie Theater 
  22. Abandoned Homes
  23. City/Town Parks
  24. Circus Site
  25. Old Homestead Sites
  26. Athletic Fields
  27. Scout Camps
  28. Rodeo Arenas
  29. Beaches
  30. Old Taverns
  31. Roadside Rest Stops
  32. Sidewalk Grassy Strips
  33. Amusement Parks
  34. Rural Mailboxes
  35. Reunion Areas
  36. Revival Sites
  37. Fort Sites
  38. Winter Sledding Areas
  39. Lookout/Overlook Sites
  40. Church Supper Groves
  41. Fishing Spots
  42. Fishing Camps
  43. Resorts
  44. Old Barns and Outbuildings
  45. Battle Sites
  46. Band Shells
  47. Rural Boundary Walls
  48. Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
  49. Under Seaside Boardwalks
  50. Flea Market Areas
  51. Ski Slopes
  52. Canal Paths
  53. Vacant Lots
  54. Motels
  55. College Campuses
  56. Farmer Market Areas
  57. Town Squares
  58. Urban Yards and Backyards
  59. Disaster Sites
  60. Areas Around Skating Ponds
  61. Hunting Lodges and Camps
  62. Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
  63. Hiking Trails
  64. Waterfalls
  65. Rural Dance Sites
  66. Lover's Lanes
  67. Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
  68. Old Gas Stations and General Stores
  69. Fence Posts
  70. Chicken Houses
  71. Bridges and Fords
  72. Flower Beds
  73. Playgrounds
  74. Old Garbage Dumps
  75. Clothes Lines
  76. Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
  77. Wells and Outhouses
  78. Abandoned Houses and Structures
  79. Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
  80. Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
  81. Old Stone Quarries
  82. Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries 
  83. Junctions of Abandoned Roads
  84. Underneath First Growth Trees
  85. Under the Porch
  86. Tailings From an Old Mine
  87. Abandoned Roads

No comments:

Post a Comment